Arden Heights Staten Island, NY, Multiple Firefighters Injured In Fire Accident

Arden Heights Staten Island – 22 firemen were hurt on Friday due to a fire on Staten Island. A fire broke out on Shotwell Avenue in Arden Heights at about 1:30 pm, quickly growing to four alarms. Although a portion of the home did fall, an FDNY spokesman stated that the firefighters “were not trapped in the collapse.”

Many were reportedly trapped inside due to the strong fire, according to FDNY Chief Brian Gorman. “I can’t emphasize enough how nearly the FDNY lost this one. Perhaps three of our employees passed away today “stated FDNY commissioner Laura Kavanagh. At least 19 additional firefighters have non-life-threatening injuries, while three firemen have serious wounds. The cause of the fire is being investigated.

Locals are receiving support from the Red Cross. According to the fire chief, the FDNY workers on the scene of the four-alarm fire had a “very close call.” At Staten Island University North Hospital on Friday evening, three firefighters were in critical condition. But, we do know that two of the firefighters were left stranded for a spell and that three of the firefighters required medical assistance after having their masks knocked off by something that fell on their heads.

The details of the injuries’ nature were suppressed by the authorities. More than 20 persons were dispatched there, despite the fact that they only had minor injuries. Staten Island University North Hospital is home to the borough’s regional burn center. On a radio call tape, an FDNY employee is heard saying, “We have received a second mayday from a firm inside. Try to get rid of him, men.”

There were frightening moments as firefighters battled to put out the fire at 88 Shotwell Avenue. In the end, they had to fight for their lives. “The windows smashed and a fierce fire was blown directly toward the firemen while they were searching the structure for inhabitants. Two victims were engulfed in the blaze “The Department chief for the FDNY, John Hodgens, said.

According to Hodgens, one made their way to a balcony on the second level, and sprang out, while another from the same floor mayday-sounded for help. He asserts that the lieutenant was successfully saved by Engine 168 and Squad Company 8. Hodgens, however, adds, “The Engine 168 nozzle guy was methodically extinguishing the flames but also growing somewhat perplexed by the situation.

He took a huge mouthful of smoke, maybe as a result of being hit in the head by a falling plaster. His mask and face piece have some minor scratches.” According to the firefighters’ union on Friday evening, Engine 167, the nearest fire station, was closed on Friday due to planned firefighter medical exams.

The city has been unwilling to pay the overtime necessary to cover the labor that has been scheduled for medical appointments, the president said, adding that New Yorkers should be aware of this. He asserted that every company wastes four days each year by being closed. He said that having replacements on hand would have sped up the reaction and maybe decreased casualties.

Also, he said that an accident had occurred on the way to the location for a responding engine company. CBS2 called FDNY for a response. Although the firehouse closure was not addressed, the FDNY asserted at the news conference on Friday that units arrived on the site in under four minutes. We were directed to that comment by a representative.